US Senator, Gaylord Nelson, selected April 22 as a day to show our appreciation to the earth. He named it Earth Day and over 175 countries observe this holiday. From recycling to planting trees, people across the world make it a point to protect our planet. Let’s reduce pollution and create a healthy environment to raise our children in.
EASY WAYS TO HELP CONSERVE THE EARTH TODAY AND EVERYDAY
- Recycle: Put a recycling bin beside your trash can and encourage your friends to do the same. Also take cloth or recyclable bags when going to the grocery store.
- Plant: Plant a tree. This will clean pollution and lock soil into place which reduces erosion.
- Walk or Bike: Drive as little as possible in an effort to cut back on pollution given off by motor vehicles. This is also a great way to get a little exercise.
- Use Environmentally Friendly Products: Make your own cleaning concoctions or search for “green” products when shopping.
- Reduce Litter: NEVER litter! Because not everyone cares about the Earth, if you see trash or recyclables on the ground, pick them up and dispose of them properly.
“There is a great need for the introduction of new values in our society, where bigger is not necessarily better, where slower can be faster, and where less can be more.”
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipes
- Boiling water
- 2 cups grated bar soap
- 2 cups Borax
- 2 cups washing soda
- Add the grated bar soap to the boiling water, lower the heat, and stir until melted.
- Pour the liquid soap into a large pail or bucket, and add the Borax and washing soda.
- Add 2 gallons of water, and stir well.
- Cover and store detergent. Use 1/4 cup per load. The mixture gels while sitting, so you have to stir it before each use.
Tip: This detergent does not have much of a smell. You can always add a few drops of essential oil, such as lavender, lemon, mint, or eucalyptus, if you’d like a scent. You can buy essential oils in health stores and online.